Called to the Peru Cusco Mission
Reports to the MTC November 17, 2010

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Gotta Leica It

Hello all from the cold depths of southern Perù where we have started waking up with ice on the water, and yes I did ask and in the dead of winter hockey would be possible on some of the ice here.  If but I had a puck...
 
But anyways, on to the story of the week, how I came to own a $1200 camera for 500soles.
 
So, Monday (like most Mondays) we went to La Cachina which is kind of like a swap meet where you can find awesome stuff for really cheap (like the Washington Capitols jersey I picked up for 1sole).  On this trip my only find was a Hartford Wolfpack quasi-jersey-shirt thing that was good but not what I really wanted to find.  Anyways, as we were walking back Elder Sanchez wanted to check if there were cameras because he wanted to pick one up.  As we were looking I found the goldmine of all cameras that I could possibly find, a Leica digital camera for 500soles.
 
Now if you don't know what Leica is allow me to explain,
For women:  It would be like finding a Michael Koors purse for about $1.50
For guys:  Think of your favorite player in all of sports, think of a jersey of that player signed and sold to you for about $5
That is what we are talking about here.  In reality I probably could have picked it up for less where it not for the fact that the camera came in a genuine leather case which kind of gave the guy (who by the way was also drunk at the time) a hint that it was something at least fairly good.
 
I was originally planning on waiting till November but...well...it's a LEICA.  'Nuf said.
 
But other than nearly having shouting matches with drunks over camera prices it's been a fairly good week.  We have some baptisms lined up for the next week and they are kind of sure-things...which I hope is the right word because I just had to ask Elder Christensen what 'fijo' is in English because I couldn't remember.
 
I don't really have time to answer questions this week, I was trying to add photos and then realized I shot them in RAW so...yeah..sorry about that.  Thank you for all your writing and support and as always feel free to write me at william.sowards@myldsmail.net or by snail mail at

Elder Will Sowards
Jeron Ricardo Palm
Manzana A Lote 2 4to Piso
Urb. Santa Monica
Cusco, Perù
 
If you want to know anything just ask and if you would like a letter feel free to send me your address to do so.
 
Till next week, this has been your friendly neighborhood Elder Sowards,
Ciào!
 
--Elder Will Sowards
Juliaca, Puno, Perù

No comments:

Post a Comment