Called to the Peru Cusco Mission
Reports to the MTC November 17, 2010

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

A Sad Cold Day

Yeah, it’s a sad cold day here in Juliaca.  The ‘Yotes lost to the WINGS, they might just move to Winnipeg and there is no Easter Bunny in Perù; Just a giant guinea pig that tries to hop and fails miserably spilling potatoes everywhere.  But aside from the badness about the ‘Yotes it has been an awesome week!

I am junior companion with Elder Sanchez, once again a district leader, and we are kicking butt in Lampa.  Right now we have seven people with baptismal dates who have attended church and another four who have dates and haven’t but probably will this week (last week was a big week for doing things in campo, like fields, and also a lot of people traveling for Easter, Dìa de Ressurecìon).   Elder Sanchez is from central Perù, Chinchoa(sp) and we are clicking along great.  I just can’t imagine how things could be going better.

But Easter here is a bit weird, Good Friday (or Viernes Santo) is like Thanksgiving state-side with people traveling from all around the country to be with family and staying through the weekend and well I’ll just be a bit honest here the group of people with a coffin containing a Christ-like…I guess mannequin is the best word?  I can’t remember the proper word to use…and having a funeral precession through Lampa was very strange.  I’m just going to chalk it up to some lingering culture shock.

But really everything is fantastic I just can’t describe how happy I am about how things are going.

Well, question time!  Sorry, I probably shouldn’t be but I’m a bit depressed  about the ‘Yotes and I’m taking this half-hour to sulk it up before I through it in a trunk in the back of my mind for the next…well till I get an email saying they are still in Glendale or have moved and then celebrate or cry.  So…

Do you see people in the traditional Peruvian dress?
--Yes, I guess so but here in this region of Perù much of the ‘traditional’ dress is just normal clothing.

How much education do the people receive?
--It depends on who you are talking about.  The current generation has received a good amount about equal to a US high school education.

What fruits and vegetable do you eat that are different than the ones we have here?
--There aren’t a lot of differences, generally just that there are some more tropical fruits here like mango and papaya but otherwise normal.

Where are the pictures of your room?
--I’m sorry the camera has ran out of batteries and I forgot to replace them.

Do you think you will be transferred in the next set of transfers?
--About 90% sure.

Has Montezuma revenge struck you yet?
--We don’t talk about that here

If the ‘Yotes move who will you cheer for?
--1)  I don’t want to consider that possibility
   2)  IF they move possibly for them in Winnepeg and if not the Avs in the West and the Caps in the East till Arizona has its own team again or I move to somewhere with a team that I can bring myself to support.

Well, that ends this slightly morose post.  Thank you for all your writing and support and as always feel free to write me at william.sowards@myldsmail.net or by snail mail at

Elder Will Sowards
Jeron Ricardo Palm
Manzana A Lote 2 4to Piso
Urb. Santa Monica
Cusco, Perù

To share your sadness or just say high feel free to email or write and we will talk again next week!  Cìao!

--Elder Will Sowards
Lampa, Puno, Perù

No comments:

Post a Comment