Called to the Peru Cusco Mission
Reports to the MTC November 17, 2010

Monday, March 7, 2011

Cambios and Carnavale

So, last night we were up till almost 11pm waiting to hear if Elder Condemarin or I were going to have a transfer and…we are both still going to be in Lampa!  It should be an interesting six weeks being as that yesterday Carnaval began!

Why it exists I, nor anyone I asked, exactly knows but it is a national party for the entire month of March which involves three main things:  partying, getting as many people wet as possible and spraying people with foam.  There was lots of foam as it started yesterday…lots.  I accidently forgot my camera in the room today (should have double checked after the ‘I’m forgetting something feeling’) but I will send pictures next week.  But I will say this, there were kids everywhere chasing people with cans of foam.  It was like “Lord of the Flies” but less of a commentary on political systems in the Western world.

Now for the fun part of the program!  Question time!

Can you see glaciers on the peaks?
Possibly, there are two peaks that are always snowbound so those may actually be glaciers but I don’t exactly know for certain.

What is the ratio of gringo to Latin missionaries?
My guess is probably around 1/3 gringo to 2/3 Latin but that is just a guess, I can say that there are more Latins than gringos and there are zero full gringo companionships and three full Latin companionships in our Zone alone.

Do you have any sister missionaries in your district or zone?
No, and we are one of only, I believe, two zones that don’t have any sisters.

Well, thanks for your time and for your support!  It’s great to be out here doing the Lord’s work and having a little fun at the same time.  Questions, comments, concerns, chistes?  Ask me at William.sowards@gmail.com or by good ol’ snail mail at

Elder Will Sowards
Jeron Ricardo Palm
Manzana A Lote 2 4to Piso
Urb. Santa Monica
Cusco, Perù

And feel free to send me your address via email and I’ll try to write.  Once again, be safe, have fun and remember that large groups of children with aeorsole canisters are to be avoided for the month of March.  Hasta proximo lunes!

No comments:

Post a Comment